Spoonie on wheels!

Having your independence taken away is truly one of the worst parts of having a chronic illness for me. Even though I'm registered blind I use to go out with friends have fun, cope without using my cane because I had learnt all the routes by landmarks, sounds and the floor texture. I would be fine you couldn't even tell I was blind unless there's were steps of course. 
Even when I was on crutches all those times that my legs were fatigued from NMO I still manages to travel around with my friends and family. Last year that all changed when my body was not physically capable of being pushed further to its limits. We rented a wheelchair while on holiday and I realised how much easier it was. Although I hated being visibly sick and the stares of curiosity I would receive it was easier.  When we arrived once I had finally admitted that I needed HELP!
We got in touch with physiotherapy who then ordered me a chair. A year later and I'm still in the chair unless I'm walking from the front door to the car with my crutch or holding on walls walking around the house. It is so much easier. I've finally accepted that this is something that's helping me just like my medication it is not a choice it's just another thing to help. 
Being almost wheelchair bound can get rather frustrating at times especially when your chauffeur isn't very good and hits your feet on walls!!! It is rather annoying  when you can't push yourself so you can't choose where you go or what speed you go. You can't walk and talk without everyone hearing your conversation from where you have to shout back to  whoever is pushing you. 
Luckily there is a lot of pros that out weigh the cons of being in a wheelchair and here are just a few!
You can play on your phone while travelling to wherever you are going. 
You can fall asleep whenever!  People are kinder to you. 
You don't get as fatigued from walking. 
You can go site seeing!
There are so many more and this is why I now love having my chair to get me places easily and safely. 

Comments

  1. My wife is confined to a wheelchair for the past five years now due to NMO. The chair doesn't define who she is, but it does li it her and she hates staring people and rude individuals.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

30 Day Chronic Illness Challenge 2/6

Advice on dealing with a chronic illness and education.

30 Day Chronic Illness Challenge 4/6